Part-time/Full-time Work Incentive Specialist Advocate/Vocational Counselor
Work Incentive Specialist Advocate/Vocational Counselor - TTW - WISA
Roanoke and surrounding areas
Do you have an interest, education or experience in human services? Know Roanoke, Lynchburg and Surrounding areas? Do you have a WISA certification? Put your skills and passions to work helping individuals with disabilities maximize their independence. This is not an office job. Exact hours will depend on your client's need for support. You must have a valid driver’s license, dependable transportation, ability to plan your day and then shift gears, if necessary, to accommodate last-minute developments. Bi-lingual and ASL candidates and are encouraged to apply.
Please apply online. The Choice Group retains submitted resumes and cover letters for 180 days, so candidates who have applied within that period need not reapply.
- Develop, manage and maintain collaborative relationships with DARS and DBVI local field offices to maximize the effectiveness of the WISA program and services;
- Communicate proactively with referral sources;
- Provide WISA services for clients of The Choice Group; this includes meeting with clients to discuss how earnings will affect Social Security and other benefits and developing a written report for the client and referral source;
- Provide ongoing WISA services to clients as requested by clients and referral sources;
- Provide WISA services to Ticket to Work (TTW) clients;
Vocational Counseling -Provide Supported Employment Services to individuals in the community
- Communicate with referral sources and other service providers on an ongoing basis;
- Assist clients with application and interview process and coordinate arrangements for job placement;
- Train and counsel clients, in competitive employment using systematic instructional techniques, compensatory strategies, job adaptation/modification and positive behavioral support techniques;
- Monitor and evaluate client work performance by collecting skill acquisition and production data and obtaining feedback from client, employer and coworkers, providing additional training or intervention as needed;
- Provide on-going assessment and follow-along services as needed and authorized;
Provide job site back-up support as needed;
- Advocate the employment of persons with severe/most severe disabilities with family members, service providers and employers through one to one and group presentations;
- Use computer and telephone effectively;
- Manage time effectively and have availability to work various hours of the day and night;
EOE/VEVRAA Federal Contractor - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
The Choice Group is an E-Verify Employer
Compensation is excellent and based on qualifications, education, experience, and additional applicable skills
At least a Bachelor degree in a related field (Rehabilitation Counseling, Social Work, Special Education, Vocational Rehabilitation, Psychology, Sociology, Counseling, Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Human Services) and 2 years related experience is required, or a combination of education and experience that is equivalent.
CERTIFICATION ACCEPTABLE TO THE VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT FOR AGING AND REHABILITATIVE SERVICES to provide Work Incentive Specialist Advocate (WISA) services. This position requires a self-starter with computer and time management skills, who can work a flexible schedule. Good driving record and documentation of adequate insurance required. Compensation based on education, skills, and experience.