WISA ADVOCATE- Vocational Counselor
TTW - WISA - Work Incentive Specialist Advocate
Harrisonburg, VA Area
Do you have familiarity with the TTW program? WISA certification? Suitability clearance? Put your skills and passions to work helping individuals with disabilities maximize their independence. This is not an office job. Exact hours will depend on the job needs. You must have a valid driver’s license, dependable transportation, ability to plan your day and then shift gears, if necessary, to accommodate last-minute developments. We are seeking full-time or part-time individuals.
Please apply online. The Choice Group retains submitted resumes and cover letters for 180 days, so candidates who have applied within that period need not reapply.
Essential Functions :
- Develop, manage and maintain collaborative relationships with DARS and DBVI local field offices to maximize the effectiveness of the WISA program and services;
- Communicate proactively with referral sources;
- Provide WISA services for clients of The Choice Group being served in vocational programs (SE, JCTS, Placement, Project SEARCH, etc.) as assigned throughout The Choice Group’s service areas;
- Provide WISA services to Ticket to Work (TTW) clients as assigned by the TTW Coordinator as soon as possible after ticket assignment and ongoing as needed;
- Provided WISA services to clients served by other organizations, as authorized, and communicate effectively with those other organizations;
- Market the WISA program through outreach at DARS/DBVI meetings, job fairs, transition events, conferences and in other relevant environments.
Essential Functions - General:
- Maintain required documentation on each client;
- Prepare written reports in the appropriate format for the referral source;
- Assist as needed in the preparation of monthly management report;
- Provide coverage for other WISAs as needed and requested;
- Prepare written materials for clients and counselors;
- Advocate the employment of persons with severe/most severe disabilities with family members, service providers and employers as opportunities arise through one to one and group presentations;
- May involve proactive and assertive community liaison activities to build relationships, support and opportunities for clients in the community;
- Use a computer and telephone effectively;
- Communicate effectively;
- Manage time;
- Complete paperwork in a timely manner;
- Provide coverage as needed.
- Participate in appropriate rehabilitation professional associations;
- Assist Director in training new staff;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EOE/VEVRAA Federal Contractor - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Compensation: Compensation is based on qualifications, education, experience, and additional applicable skills.
At least a Bachelor degree in a related field (Rehabilitation Counseling, Social Work, Special Education, Vocational Rehabilitation, Psychology, Sociology, Counseling, Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Human Services) and 1 year related experience is required, or a combination of education and experience that is equivalent.
CERTIFICATION ACCEPTABLE TO THE VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT FOR AGING AND REHABILITATIVE SERVICES to provide Work Incentive Specialist Advocate (WISA) services. This position requires a self-starter with computer and time management skills, who can work a flexible schedule. Good driving record and documentation of adequate insurance required. Compensation based on education, skills, and experience.
Flexible Work Schedule
Education and tuition reimbursement